WHEN IS A PICTURE FINISHED?
How to finish a picture
A picture is finished when it feels right. We often know instinctively if a picture has worked, The problem is when you know that something is not right but you don’t know what. One way of addressing this is to ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the work balanced, in proportion and have a focal point ( point of emphasis?)
- Does it has a sense of form through shape, texture and value?
- Is there a sense of space and perspective (depth)
- Is the use of line refined and appropriate for the subject?
- Is the work stiff and lacking a sense of movement?
Finally, does the picture feel unified? For example, the use of too many colours or colours that do not complement or harmonise damages unity.